You can just imagine the number of new friends and classmates you’ll know when you’re in college. You will be lucky to know some familiar faces from high school but other than them, you’re surrounded by strangers. With so many new acquaintances, how can you remember all their names?
Many people find it difficult to remember names of people especially those they meet in parties and other social gatherings. That’s because they never have the chance to actually talk to them or hang out with so many people in attendance. Of course you don’t want to seem rude the next time you see these people again and can’t remember their names which is why it’s important you learn remembering names in college.
College students start building relationships with the right individuals who can help them in the future. You can never tell if someone you know will eventually become your ticket to landing a job or even your boss. Having a lot of friends can also make your college more interesting and fun especially if you get to spend most of your free time with people you’re comfortable with.
Remembering names in college is imperative. You don’t want to be labeled as unfriendly or impolite just because you tend to forget the names of those you were introduced to. Here are some tips to help sharpen your memory:
- Always ask twice: In case you didn’t get the names right the first time, don’t be shy to ask again. Sometimes loud music or other noise prevents you from hearing the names of people right. Ask again so you can easily remember them.
- Use word associations: An effective technique is associating the name of a person to an object. For instance, if you’re introduced to someone with a fancy car, you can easily remember him or her just by thinking about the car.
- Find familiaryity: You can easily remember names if they’re the same with those of your loved ones or close friends. More so if you both have the same or almost the same names.
- Connect on social media: Fond of social media sites? You can immediately add them as friend so you don’t forget.
- Make a record: Play it safe by carrying along with you a small notebook where you can jot down the names of people you know and their contact information. You can also use your smart phone to add new names and their information to your contacts.
You don’t have to be a genius to be able to remember names. Sometimes all it takes is for you to listen carefully and pay close attention to people’s names especially if you’re formally introduced to one another.
Photo Courtesy of BIGSTOCK
Please let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.