Hinds Community College, established 1917, is a community college with its main campus located in Raymond, Mississippi, about five miles west of Jackson, the state capital. With an enrollment of nearly 12,000 students at six campuses, it is the largest educational institution in the state, a rarity among community colleges. It’s nickname is the Eagles and the University is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and the Mississippi Junior College Athletic Association. Their colors are maroon and white and their motto is The College for All People.
[messagebox title=”University Profile”]
505 East Main Street, Raymond, Mississippi 39154
Phone: (334) 229-4400
Type: 2-year, Public
Less than one year certificate
One but less than two years certificate
Campus housing: Yes
Student population: 12,811 (all undergraduate)
Student-to-faculty ratio: 20 to 1
- The college began as a small agricultural high school in 1917 with 117 students and eight faculty members.
- In its transformation into a junior college, it began offering college level academic courses in 1922 and was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1926.
- Utica Junior College, a historically black junior college whose history dates back to 1903, merged with Hinds Junior College in 1982
- The Pearl-Rankin Vocational/Career Center was opened in the town of Pearl in 1983, offering high school vocational education and some college-level night courses.
- The Jackson Campus-Nursing/Allied Health Center was opened in Jackson in 1984, offering nursing and other medical and dental programs.
- The Vicksburg branch became the Vicksburg Campus in 2002 and now offers college-level programs.
- Hinds Junior College changed its name to Hinds Community College in 1987.
Hinds Community College has 7 campuses:
- Academic/Technical Center, Jackson
- Nursing/Allied Health Center, Jackson
- Rankin Campus, Pearl
- Raymond Campus, Raymond
- Utica Campus, Utica
- Vicksburg-Warren Campus, Vicksburg
- Aviation Maintenance/Commercial Aviation, John Bell Williams Airport, Raymond
- Number of faculty members: 82 (Utica Campus)
- Student-teacher ratio: 15:1
Hinds Community College, the largest community college in the state of Mississippi, is a comprehensive educational institution, accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Hinds serves approximately 32,000 students in academic, career/technical, workforce, secondary and adult education programs each year.
- The eLearning Department provides extended educational opportunities for students by utilizing technology in or out of the classroom. The office encompasses the services of Instructional Technology, Instructional Design, Media Services, and Distance Learning.
- Hinds Community College offers nearly 500 online class sections each fall, spring, and summer semester through the Mississippi Virtual Community College (MSVCC), a consortium of 15 Mississippi community colleges that offers Internet based courses.
- The Hinds Community College (HCC) Libraries are located at each of the College’s six locations.
- The District Office of Admissions and Records serves the students, alumni, faculty and staff of the college by providing convenient and accessible services regarding admissions processes, grading, records, and graduation.
- About 85 percent of the Hinds student body receives financial aid in the form of grants, loans, work-study and scholarships.
- College Work-Study is an excellent opportunity for undergraduate students to receive work experience and earn extra money without leaving campus.
- The Work-Study programs give students the chance to gain valuable work experience to help with future job opportunities.
The Hinds Alumni Association invites you to experience the bond shared between the college and its many supporters and friends.
Source: Hinds Community College