Last Updated on May 26, 2023
Now, more than ever, achieving post secondary education has become difficult for many students due to the slow economy. The U.S. now stands 12th among nations with the most college degree holders, an ugly reality considering that our country used to have the most number of college graduates. This is because the cost of a college education has become unaffordable and has resulted to total student loan debts exceeding $1 trillion.
Buick Scholarship General Information
Buick Scholarship, one of the largest scholarship programs in the country, provides students the opportunity to go to college and complete their degrees for free. Awardees are given up to $25,000 yearly, renewable for four years plus an additional year for those entering an 5-year engineering program. About 1,000 students will also receive $2,000 for exceptional achievement in school and community.
Funds for Buick Achievers Scholarship are provided by the GM Foundation, a 501c(3) organization, which is distinct from General Motors Company. Buick has already awarded about $12 million to its pool of scholars since it started the scholarship program in 2011.
Applicants for the Buick Scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Be U.S. citizens and have permanent residence in the United States or Puerto Rico
- Be high school seniors or graduates or be current undergraduate students
- Intend to enter a full-time undergraduate study for the full academic year 2014-2015 at an accredited four-year college or university (not including online schools) based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico
- Plan to major in a specified course of study that focuses on Engineering/Technology or select Design and Business-related programs of study. Click here for the list of eligible majors.
- Be interested in pursuing a career in the automotive or related industries
The Scholarship Management Services selects the scholarship awardees based on their academic achievement, financial status, and exemplary leadership and/or participation in school and community activities. Applicants who demonstrate an interest in pursuing careers in the automotive industry or related technologies are given priorities. Other qualifications such as military veteran or dependent of a military personnel, minority, female or first-generation college student are also taken into consideration.
- Visit the Buick Scholarship website and register as an applicant.
- Activate your account by clicking the link on the automated email sent to your inbox.
- Log-in on the website and complete the application.
- Submit application electronically on or before February 28, 2014, Eastern Standard Time. No paper copies of the online application will be accepted.
The scholarship award can be used in any accredited college or university in the United States or Puerto Rico (except proprietary and online schools) to cover cost of tuition, laboratory fees books and supplies, room and board and other miscellaneous expenses. The award is renewable contingent upon a maintained cumulative 3.0 grade point average, full-time study and continued enrollment in any of the eligible majors.
Once you are chosen as a recipient of the Buick Scholarship, the Scholarship Management Services will mail two checks to your home address, one on August 15 and another on December 30, or the checks could be directly made payable to the school.
You can access the Buick Scholarship online application and other program details at buickachievers.com