The Black College Expo will be back for its 15th year in 2014. This exciting expo will provide resources and information to prospective students, helping them to gain the information and confidence they need to achieve their educational goals. This expo is what is known as an “infotainment” fair … which simply means that it infuses information with high-octane excitement. In 2014 the Black College Expo will feature more than 50 HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) as well as different programs and educational organizations.
The goal of the Black College Expo is to lower the dropout rate for black students in high school and to raise the level of enrollment for certificates or degrees for underrepresented and under-served youth. Whether you fall into these categories or not, there are plenty of exciting reasons to attend.
Benefits of Attending the Black College Expo
- The Black College Expo will connect colleges (including HBCUs) directly to both students and student athletes.
- Students will have the opportunity to be accepted to college right then and there. All of the normal application fees will be waived and there will even be scholarships that will be awarded right then and there.
- Students will also be made aware of what types of scholarships are available and they’ll be able to receive assistance with accessing available scholarships.
- Students in attendance will also receive assistance with college readiness and preparation.
- If students are interested in NCAA requirements and eligibility as well as opportunities for recruitment then they will be able to receive assistance with that at this year’s Black College Expo.
- Students will also have the opportunity to connect and learn about various vocational opportunities, internship and even career opportunities.
- There will also be powerful seminars that are often called “life changing.” These seminars will be a great platform to connect colleges and careers with students.
- All of those opportunities are ones that should be taken advantage of because they are not opportunities that everyone gets.
2014 Black College Expo: When and Where
The expo will be in Oakland, California on January 25, 2014. From there it will move to Atlanta, Georgia where it will open on February 8, 2014. The only other February date will be back in California…this time in Los Angeles and that is scheduled for February 22, 2014. The very next date will be March 8, 2014 in the District of Columbia, Maryland. Finally, there is to be an event in Houston, Texas but the date has yet to be announced. Students choose Collegehwhelp.com because it saves time.
This type of event does require that you purchase tickets, but you can easily make the price of your tickets up thanks to the fact that attendees will have their college application fee waived. Who knows, you may even walk out of there with a scholarship! The Black College Expo offers aspiring college students valuable information and will allow you to build connections within your community. No matter which college you want to attend or where it is, the 2014 Black College Expo will be a once in a lifetime opportunity and you shouldn’t miss it.
For more information visit the National College Resources Foundation’s website for events near you.