Ideal for students who are looking toward a career in any aspect of the business or fashion worlds, Macy’s internship program is a great way to experience first-hand the world of retail. Directed by big names in the industry and offered during the summer for easy scheduling, Macy’s internships offer several different options.
- Store Management gives students a taste of just what it takes to run a store as large as Macy’s, earning them skills which can be applied in virtually any retail situation. The internship combines online learning with real hands-on experience to create a learning opportunity like no other. This internship is paid, lasts for eight weeks and is available in over twenty states.
- Merchant Buying/Planning is ideal for students interested in the merchandising aspect of retail. Learn how a chain such as Macy’s chooses merchandise, and how much detail goes into seemingly small decisions such as in-store product placement. If being a buyer has always sounded like a fun career, this internship will show you what it really takes.
- Product Development gives students an opportunity to earn money while learning what it takes to develop a new product and see it succeed. You’ll learn about the creation of a product, how to get ahead of the competition and how to track sales for success. Lasting for ten weeks, this paid internship is only available in New York City.
- Design is an exciting way to learn about how a private label creates new pieces and gets those new creations onto store shelves. Ideal for those with a strong interest in fashion, this paid internship puts you right in the middle of a real design firm’s quest to bring fresh new fashion to Macy’s customers. Only available in New York City, this paid internship lasts for ten weeks.
- Online Internships are wonderful for students curious about the virtual end of the Macy’s experience. Internships are available in Site Merchandise, Merchant, Marketing, Marketing Analytics and Technology/Software Engineer. These internships are available in New York City (Merchant) and San Francisco (all others) only.
Regardless of which internship is right for you, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from some of the very best in the business, as well as take part in Macy’s National Intern Give Back Day. This event, held in July, is a time for interns to give back by donating their time to community service.
How to apply
Any way you look at it, Macy’s internships are a truly excellent way to gain experience in the retail and fashion industries by working with one of the oldest and most respected names in the business. Visit Macy’s job search page to apply for summer internships. For more details about the program visit Macy’s college internships page.