Talladega College, located in Talladega, Alabama, is a private, liberal arts college. It holds the distinction as Alabama’s oldest private historically black college. It’s nickname is the Dear Ole’ Dega, Dega, TC and the University is a member of the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference (GCAC). Their colors are Crimson and Blue and their motto is An Education of Distinction.
Type: 4-year, Private not-for-profit
Awards offered: Bachelor’s degree
Campus housing: Yes
Student population: 706 (all undergraduate)
Student-to-faculty ratio: 18 to 1
- Talladega College, with the assistance of the American Missionary Association, was founded in 1867, by the descendants of the slaves who helped to build its first building, Swayne Hall-now a national historic site.
- Talladega College was the first institution in the state of Alabama to admit qualified persons of any race or ethnic origin.
Talladega College is located on the outskirts of the city of Talladega. The campus consists of 50 acres (200,000 m2) with 17 primary buildings 3 of which are National Historic Landmarks.
The campus is on a plateau about 700 feet above sea level in the heart of the fertile valley in foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The campus is a quiet place-away from the distractions and fast pace of urban living.
- Total students enrolled: 706
- Male Students 43%, Female students 57%
- Full-time faculty: 35
- Student/Faculty Ratio 12:1
- The liberal arts program at Talladega serves as a strong foundation for the development of the whole person and well-rounded leaders.
- All 16 majors are grounded in the liberal arts.
- The most popular majors at Talladega College include: Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Psychology; English Language and Literature/Letters; and Social Sciences.
- 98% of full-time students attending Talladega College receive some form of financial aid. Need-based scholarship, grants, loans, work-study programs are available for eligible students.
- Talladega College provides Career counseling and placement services
- Talladega College offers a number of student services including nonremedial tutoring, health service, and health insurance.
- Talladega College also offers campus safety and security services like 24-hour foot and vehicle patrols and late night transport/escort service.
The Talladega College Alumni Association, an independent, membership-based service organization, is home to many programs and services for College alumni. The Alumni Association seeks to provide graduates, students and friends of Talladega with the highest level of service and a means to remain actively involved and connected to the College and each other after graduation.
Sources: Talladega College