Lawson State Community College (also referred to as Lawson State) is a community college located in Birmingham and Bessemer, Alabama, USA. It’s nickname is the Cougars and the University is member of the Alabama College Community Conference (ACCC). Their colors are Yellow and Navy Blue and their motto is It’s All Here.
[messagebox title=”University Profile”]
3060 Wilson Rd SW, Birmingham, Alabama 35221-1717
Phone: (334) 229-4400
Type: 2-year, Public
Less than one year certificate
One but less than two years certificate
Campus housing: Yes
Student population: 4,863 (all undergraduate)
Student-to-faculty ratio: 23 to 1
- Lawson State Community College (LSCC), one of Alabama’s oldest state supported community colleges, opened its doors in 1949.
- The technical division was first established as a result of the Wallace-Patterson Trade School Act of 1947.
- The College was created in 1965 and was named after its first President, Dr. T. A. Lawson.
- On October 1, 1973, Wenonah State and Lawson State merged and became one institution known as the Lawson-Wenonah State Junior College and Technical Institute. Shortly, thereafter, the name was changed to its present name, Lawson State Community College.
The College’s main campus consists of both an East and West Campus, separated by approximately a quarter of a mile. The East Campus is situated on thirty acres of rolling hillside and consists of twenty-one acres of land leased out to the City of Birmingham. The West Campus is situated on forty-five acres of gently sloped land, which consists of forty-one acres of highly groomed land and four acres of pavement.
- Total no. of students: 4353
- 98% student are In-State
- Full time students: 54%
- Total Faculties: 305
- African American Faculties: 191
- Lawson State Community College offers financial assistance to students who are in need of help to pay the cost of their education. Financial aid is designed to supplement the family’s ability to finance the students educational expenses.
- The Bookstore is located in the Leon Kennedy Student Center as a service to students, faculty, and staff. It provides textbooks, school supplies, and other course related material. It also provides non-academic items such as: greeting cards, Cougar sweatshirts, windbreakers, Lawson State Community College Cougar decals, postage stamps, watches, etc.
- The Dean of Student Development Services is in charge of the Office of Student Development Services. The office provides educational and career assistance to all students enrolled at Lawson State Community College.
- Lawson State Community College is committed to providing direct, basic health care to all students following an assessment of illness or injury by a licensed staff member. Students requiring care beyond that available by student health services will be referred to our college-linked clinic on the East Campus.
- Job Placement and the Career Education Center function as a bridge between the student’s academic preparation and the world of work.
After a student has completed a course or a program of study at Lawson State Community College, he or she becomes a member of the Lawson State Community College’s Alumni Association.
Sources: Lawson State Community College