Bishop State Community College, founded 1927, is a state-supported, two-year, public, historically black college (HBCU) located in Mobile, Alabama, U.S.A. It’s nickname is the Wildcats and the University is a member of the Alabama Community College Conference (ACCC). Their colors are Green and Yellow.
351 North Broad Street, Mobile, Alabama 36603-5898
Phone: (251) 405-7000
Type: 2-year, Public
Awards offered: Less than one year certificate, One but less than two years certificate, and Associate’s degree
Campus housing: No
Student population: 3,725 (all undergraduate)
Student-to-faculty ratio: 19 to 1
- Bishop State Community College was founded in the summer of 1927, as a Branch of Alabama State College in Montgomery, Alabama.
- It was established as an in-service arm of Alabama State College that offered extension courses to African-American elementary and secondary teachers in Mobile.
- In 1942, property was acquired on Broad Street where the present Main Campus is located.
- In 1963, the name “Mobile Branch of Alabama State College” was changed to Alabama State College – Mobile Center.
- In 1971, the Alabama State Legislature renamed the college to S. D. Bishop State Junior College & again in 1989 to “Bishop State Community College”
Bishop State is located in downtown Mobile, which provides students with access to shopping and dining.
- The total number of enrolled students at Bishop State Community College is 3,725.
- 64% of students are female
- 44% of students are minority
- 46% are enrolled full time
- 95% are Alabama residents
- 66% receive financial aid
- 64% of degrees/awards were in career/technical fields
- Average age for 2009-2010 was 26
- Community College employs 373 people from the community 279 full-time; 94 part-time employees
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 19 to 1
Bishop State has six academic divisions and four technical divisions:
- Natural Science and Mathematics
- Business and Economics
- Social Sciences
- Health-Related Professions
- Workforce Development
- Commercial and Industrial Technology
- Consumer & Transportation Technology
- Engineering and Construction
- Extracurricular activities provided for the students are three intercollegiate sports programs – basketball for men and women, baseball, and softball.
- Additional student activities consist of the choir, band, and several student clubs, along with specific activities sponsored by the Student Government Association.
- 89% of students receive financial aid. Students can expect to pay about $0 for living on campus
- The College Bowl, an academic quiz contest, is a highlight each year.
- Students may work on the Newsline (student-run newspaper), the Sword (yearbook), or Around Campus, which publishes activities, important events, and happenings concerning the campus community.
Source: Bishop State Community College