Alcorn State University is a historically black university comprehensive land-grant institution in Lorman, Mississippi was established on 1871. It’s nickname is the Braves; Alcorn A’s. Their colors are Purple and Gold and their motto is Knowledge and Character: That’s the Alcorn Difference.
[messagebox title=”University Profile”]
1000 ASU Dr Ste 359, Alcorn State, Mississippi 39096-7500
Phone: (601) 877-6100
Type: 4-year, Public
[thirdlast]Campus setting: Rural: Distant
Campus housing: Yes
Student population: 3,682 (2,980 undergraduate)
Student-to-faculty ratio:17 to 1
- Alcorn is the oldest public historically black land-grant institution in the United States and the second oldest state supported institution of higher learning in Mississippi.
- Alcorn State University was founded as the result of the people of Mississippi’s efforts to educate the descendants of formerly enslaved Africans. It was named in honor of the sitting governor of Mississippi, James L. Alcorn.
- In 1878, Alcorn University became Alcorn Agricultural and Mechanical College.
- In 1974, Alcorn Agricultural and Mechanical College became Alcorn State University.
- Alcorn began with eight faculty members in 1871. Today there are more than five hundred members of the faculty and staff.
The main campus is located near Lorman, Mississippi, while the Nursing School and the Business School’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) program is located in Natchez, Mississippi. There is also a Vicksburg, Mississippi site.
The university enrolls over 2,500 full-time and 348 part-time undergraduate students and 600 graduate students. Women outnumber men in a ratio 3:2.
The university is made up of seven schools, offering over 50 different fields of study.
- School of Agriculture, Research, Extension and Applied Sciences
- School of Arts and Sciences
- School of Graduate Studies
- School of Business
- School of Education and Psychology
- School of Nursing
- College for Excellence
The Honors Program is an option for students who wish to further enhance their academic experience.
Alcorn State University offers a general MBA program through its Natchez campus. Most classes are conducted in evening to accommodate its working executive students. Over last few years the MBA program has been very popular with international students, in fact a high percentage of international students at Alcorn State University are enrolled in its MBA program.
Besides coordinating study-abroad opportunities, Global Programs brings worldwide perspectives to campus through exchange programs and special events.
Alcorn State University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate, Bachelor‘s, Master‘s, and Specialist in Education degrees.
Source: Alcorn State University