TV One’s show-stopping series Lexus Verses And Flow sets the tone this summer with its fifth season premiere on Thursday, July 30 at 10p.m. EDT. Actor Laz Alonso (The Mysteries of Laura) returns to host the NAACP Image Award-nominated variety show that blends electrifying musical performances from chart-topping music stars alongside more than 28 talented poets offering soul-stirring spoken word pieces. This season will showcase performances by legendary and emerging artists alike including Avery Sunshine, Charlie Wilson, Chrisette Michele, Jazmine Sullivan, Jussie Smolett of Fox’s Empire, Leela James, Melanie Fiona, Raekwon the Chef featuring Assassin, Sevyn Streeter and B.o.B. This season’s poets will deliver original pieces covering a wide spectrum of topics ranging from discovering a first crush, to an almost unnatural love of bacon, to surveys of the social climate in the nation surrounding the Black Lives Matter movement.
The fifth season of Lexus Verses and Flow also brings the return of the Lexus Verses and Flow Scholarship. Presented in partnership with 10 of the nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities, two students per institution will each be awarded a $5,000 scholarship in recognition of their community leadership and academic excellence. The deadline for scholarship entries is Sept. 4.
We are proud to announce the creation of the Lexus Verses and Flow Scholarship, a program that will award students at our nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) for their academic excellence as well as their community involvement. The scholarship was established in conjunction with the television show Lexus Verses and Flow, now entering its fifth season, featuring poetry and R&B performances.
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION HERE.
- The LEXUS Verses and Flow scholarship will commence April 10, 2015. The final deadline for submission is September 4, 2015.
- A $5,000 Scholarship will be awarded to two (2) deserving students of selected HBCU’s.
- Awardees must be classified as a sophomore, junior or senior at the time the scholarship commences. In addition, he/she must be an active community leader.
- Awardees will be notified by Lexus and must be available to receive the award during the fall/spring semester on their individual campuses.
- Each school shall review all essays/videos and will submit the top ten (10) packages to Lexus for review.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION, A CANDIDATE MUST:
- Must be available to receive scholarship award during the upcoming fall/spring semesters on campus, which will be presented by Lexus Verses and Flow officials.
- Complete all requirements of the scholarship application. [Note: Essays (video and written) will be judged on concept, grammar and content. An authorized faculty member must review and sign the scholarship verification prior to submission.]
- Provide one (1) letter of recommendation from a local community leader that addresses the student’s community activities.
- Provide one (1) letter of recommendation from campus faculty and/or administrators.
- Be in good academic standing with a minimum 3.0 (out of 4.0) G.P.A.
- Submit a permanent mailing address, phone number and e-mail address.
- Must be prepared to make a three (3) minute presentation, referencing your essay.
- Submit a recent photo.
- Be an undergraduate student at one of the following HBCUs:
Florida A&M University (Tallahassee, FL)
Grambling State University (Grambling, LA)
Hampton University (Hampton, VA)
Howard University (Washington, DC)
LeMoyne-Owen College (Memphis, TN)
Dr. Denita Hedgeman
Morehouse College (Atlanta, GA)
Dr. Melvin Rahming
North Carolina A&T University (Greensboro, NC)
Spelman College (Atlanta, GA)
Shelese J. Lane
Xavier University (New Orleans, LA)
Dr. LaMont Hayes
Clark Atlanta University (Atlanta, GA)
Dr. Magnus Christon
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION INFORMATION AND RULES
LEXUS is proud to present the Lexus Verses and Flow Scholarship. Below are the official rules for entry submissions by scholarship applicants. APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE EITHER VIDEO ESSAY OR WRITTEN ESSAY.
Video Essay Elements
- 3 minutes or less.
- Must capture how the applicant is taking a leadership role in their community.
- Videos must address the importance of community.
- Video must address the benefi ts of attending an HBCU.
- Each individual is limited to one submission.
- An authorized faculty member must review video and sign accompanying scholarship application prior to submission.
Written Essay Elements
- Two (2) pages maximum.
- In 500 words or less, the applicant must capture the leadership role they are taking in their communities.
- Applicant must address the importance of community.
- Applicant must address the benefi ts of attending an HBCU.
- Essays will be judged on concept, grammar and content .
- An authorized faculty member is to review and sign the proposed essay prior to submission.
If your submission is selected, you may be required to mail your submission in digital video tape format to Sponsor. The video tape will become the property of LEXUS, and will not be returned to you. Each school shall review all essays/videos and will submit the top ten (10) packages to LEXUS for review.