Clinton Junior College is a historically black, private two-year junior college in Rock Hill, South Carolina.
It was founded as the Clinton Institute in 1894 and named after Bishop Caleb Isom Clinton, the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church’s Palmetto Conference presiding bishop at the time. On June 22, 1909, it was incorporated as Clinton Normal and Industrial Institute. Their motto is A beacon of Light for Tomorrow’s Leaders.
[messagebox title=”University Profile”]
1029 Crawford Rd, Rock Hill, South Carolina 29730
Phone: (803) 327-7402
Type: 2-year, Private not-for-profit
Campus housing: Yes
Student population: 143 (all undergraduate)
Student-to-faculty ratio: 21 to 1
- In 1894, Presiding Elder Nero A. Crockett and Rev. W.M. Robinson founded Clinton Institute and named it for Bishop Caleb Isom Clinton, the Palmetto Conference presiding bishop at the time.
- It is the oldest institution of higher education in Rock Hill, South Carolina, it has operated continuously for 115 years.
- Incorporated as Clinton Normal and Industrial Institute on June 22, 1909, the school was authorized to grant state teacher certificates.
- By the late 1940’s, the college attracted 225 students per year and owned approximately 19 acres, several buildings, and equipment valued at several million dollars.
Clinton Junior College is located in the heart of the growing industrial Piedmont area, within the city limits of Rock Hill, South Carolina. Rock Hill has a population of approximately 46,000. Twenty-five miles to the south is Charlot.
Clinton Junior College is fortunate to have dedicated and highly skilled faculty. The Faculty lends itself to the students unselfishly. Several faculty members have been recognized locally and nationally in their respective disciplines. Clinton Junior College faculty serve on boards and commissions, acting as technical specialists and consultants for community initiatives.
Number of faculty members: 23
Part Time: 18
Full Time: 5
Student-teacher ratio: 21:1
Associate Degrees: Business Administration, Business Commerce, Business Education, Business Management, Liberal Arts/General Studies Certificate: Christian Ministries
- Clinton Junior College has numerous activities that aid students in their moral and spiritual development.
Sources: Clinton Junior College