Elizabeth City State University (ECSU) is a public, historically black college located in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, in the United States. ECSU enrolls nearly 2,500 students in 37 baccalaureate programs and three masters degree programs, a member school of the Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund, as well as a member-institution of the University of North Carolina system. It’s nickname is the Vikings and the University is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Their colors are Royal Blue and White and their motto is To Live is to Learn.
[messagebox title=”University Profile”]
1704 Weeksville Rd, Elizabeth City, North Carolina 27909
Phone: (252) 335-3400
Type: 4-year, Public
Campus housing: Yes
Student population: 3,307 (3,240 undergraduate)
Student-to-faculty ratio: 16 to 1
- Elizabeth City State University was founded on March 3, 1891 by North Carolina General Assembly.
- In 1937, the school made the transformation into a full four-year teachers college and was officially named Elizabeth City State Teachers College.
- In 1939, the college awarded its first Bachelor of Science degrees in its program of Elementary Education.
- In December 1961, the college gained membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- In 1963 its name was changed to Elizabeth City State College.
- In 1969, its name was changed to Elizabeth City State University to reflect expansion and the addition of graduate programs.
ECSU’s campus encompasses 200 acres (0.81 km2), mostly flanked by residential districts.
- Total Student Enrollment 3,307
- Full-time Students 2,914
- Part-time Students 393
- Undergraduates 3,240
- Graduates 67
- In-state 2,873
- Out-of-state 434
- Females 1,993
- Males 1,314
- Average SAT 841
- Average Rank 51.39
- Average HS GPA 2.74
- Ethnicity :
- Black 2,621
- White 460
- Asian 11
- American Indian 14
- Hispanics 32
- Nonresident Alien 19
- Unknown 150
- ECSU offers 37 baccalaureate degrees and four master’s degrees in four academic schools – Arts & Humanities; Business and Economics; Education and Psychology; and Mathematics, Science and Technology.
- The university has academic programs that appeal to various interests and fields of study, including the honors program, military science, study abroad, Viking Fellows for education majors, and our signature programs – aviation and pharmacy.
- ECSU also offers a doctor of pharmacy degree in collaboration with the Eshelman School of Pharmacy (UNC- Chapel Hill).
- Our students are exposed to exciting research opportunities that extend their learning beyond textbooks and classrooms.
- Students may also take advantage of specialized academic support programs.
- Several of our academic and research initiatives such as the Drug Information Center afford students with opportunities for community service.
- ECSU’s Teacher Education Program is approved by the North Carolina State Board of Education and accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- Its Industrial Technology Program is accredited by the National Association of Industrial Technology.
- ECSU’s Laboratory School is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- In 2007, Diverse Issues in Higher Education ranked ECSU #1 among Historically Black Colleges and Universities for its black male student athlete graduation rate.
- Between 1999 and 2012, ECSU repeatedly earned national acclaim in U.S. News and World Report Magazine’s ranking of best colleges in the south.
- The U.S. News and World Report’s 2012 Edition of Best Colleges ranked ECSU as second in the Top Public Schools Regional Colleges (South) category and #14 among the nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
Elizabeth City State University and the Office of Alumni Relations are dedicated to making sure our young alumni are engaged in the many programs and activities that the university and the National Alumni Association offer. We want to make sure that you can count on us to help you stay informed. Take advantage of connecting with us through social media, come and tour the campus, attend Viking sporting events, tailgate with other Vikings, attend lyceum events – STAY CONNECTED!
Sources: Elizabeth City State University