Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science is a WASC accredited, private, non-profit school located in Willowbrook, unincorporated Los Angeles County, California, United States. It was founded in 1966 in response to inadequate medical facilities within the Watts region of Los Angeles, California, USA. Their colors are Yellow and black and their motto is A Private University with a Public Mission.
Phone: (323) 563-4800
Type: 4-year, primarily associate’s, Private not-for-profit
- Associate’s degree
- Bachelor’s degree
- Postbaccalaureate certificate
- Master’s degree
Campus setting: Suburb, Large
Campus housing: No
Student population: 410 (96 undergraduate)
Student-to-faculty ratio: 4 to 1
- In AUGUST 1966 The Charles R. Drew Postgraduate Medical School is incorporated in the State of California as a private, non-profit, educational institution.
- The University is named in honor of Dr. Charles R. Drew. It was associated with the former-Martin Luther King Jr./Charles R. Drew Medical Center from 1972 to 2006, and sometimes referred to as King-Drew University.
- Total enrollment: 596
- Medical students: 98
- Interns and residents: 314
- Allied health: 184
- Ethnic/racial makeup: African American, 303
- Other/Unclassified, 293
- Number of faculty members: 420
- Full-time faculty members: 300
- Part-time faculty members: 120
The university is best known for its medical school designed to train physicians interested in working in urban environments, and founded in the response to the 1965 Watts riots to train minority doctors who would serve the poor of the South Los Angeles area.
The following other academic programs are offered: Master’s of Science in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner Master of Science, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Pre-Medicine, General Studies, Master’s in Urban Public Health, Phlebotomy, Life Sciences, Health Information Technology, and Radiography.
- The Charles Drew Academic Resource Center workshops offered the present students with basic principles, recent findings and strategies for improvement of cognitive skills and critical thinking.
- Individualized advisement sessions are offered to enhance the student’s understanding of the information acquired from the skills building workshops.
- The Center has a library of test-prep materials to enhance student learning.
- The CDU Student Ambassador program is a service program made up of a selective group of student leaders from diverse backgrounds who exhibit the ability to lead by example and have an interest in helping others.
- Financial aid is intended to help bridge the gap between your COA and what you and your family can afford to contribute towards your education.
- Charles Drew University offers a six-week summer institute: CDU Project PREP (A Planned Recruitment, Experience and Preparation Project) to eligible high school and community college students in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area.
A major aim of the alumni association is to ensure that CDU continues to be an educational, support, and networking resource for the rest of your life.
The alumni online community is one way to stay connected with other alumni and to stay informed of the latest news about CDU.
Source: Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science