Concordia College, Selma is a college of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod’s Concordia University System, located in Selma, Alabama, in the United States. It is the only historically black college in the Concordia System. It’s nickname is the Hornets and the University is member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). Their colors are Green and Yellow.
[messagebox title=”University Profile”]
1804 Green St, Selma, Alabama 36701
Phone: (334) 874-5700 x19714
Type: 4-year, Private not-for-profit
Campus housing: Yes
Student population: 652 (all undergraduate)
Student-to-faculty ratio: 21 to 1
- Founded in 1922, Concordia is a private school that provides a Christ-centered education for future leaders of the church, the community and the world.
- On November 13, 1922, in a rented cottage at 521 First Avenue, the first classes of Rosa Young’s new school were held in Selma, Alabama.
- On September 20, 1925, the first buildings on the present campus were dedicated to the glory of God.
- On July 1, 1981, the name of the Alabama Lutheran Academy and College was officially changed to Concordia College.
- In 1994, SACS granted Concordia accreditation as a baccalaureate-degree granting institution.
- In 2010 acquired the property of the United Methodist Children’s Home, and expanded the size of the campus from 22 acres to 57.
Concordia offers four-year undergraduate degrees at a beautiful coeducational 60-acre campus located in the historic city of Selma, AL.
- Total enrollment (men/women): 98/378
- Full-time undergraduates (men/women): 68/261
- Part-time undergraduates (men/women): 30/117
- Number of faculty members: 32
- Student-faculty ratio: 21:1
- Full-time faculty members: 26
- Part-time faculty members: 6
- The unit of academic affairs supports the mission of the College to provide an opportunity for students to receive a quality education in accord with the teachings of the Christian faith to lead responsible lives and to provide effective service to the Church and their community.
- The curriculum includes an associate and two baccalaureate degree programs built on the traditional liberal arts foundation which provides the conceptual framework necessary for analysis and problem solving in society.
- Concordia College offers student support services to help students focus on their academic responsibilities. The unique STAARS program is designed to promote student retention and help students transition into college life and get involved with academic activities. Students can take advantage of computer labs, personal counseling, academic advising, and tutoring.
- The Selma campus encourages students to participate in chapel worship, Bible study, student organizations and various athletic teams. Students can participate in either intercollegiate or intramural sports.
- The web of Concordia Universities is a strong supporter of the Armed Forces, which is why the Selma campus promotes the ROTC program. ROTC, or Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, offers students a chance to graduate with a bachelor’s degree and be commissioned as an officer in the Army.
The Office of Alumni Affairs exists to help build and maintain the relationship formed between the student and the institution. The staff of Alumni Affairs works with Concordia College-Selma’s National Association of Alumni and Friends to promote the welfare of the institution.
Sources: Concordia College (Alabama)